Radio Noise Project An experiment

The Fediverse Can Be Pretty Good

I have thought about the role of social media for a bit over the past few days, and honestly as much as I can sympathize with social media skepticism like in Drew DeVault’s blog post from a while back, I ultimately think the Fediverse is not as toxic of a place as it’s made out to be. Yes, the Fediverse has issues, but these are not unsolvable. In fact, with the Fediverse being run by mostly individuals and small groups instead of large for-profit corporations, it may actually be easier to implement the solutions to those problems.

Server Reorg Part 3 - the Finale

I think I’ve found a good setup that should last a while. I recently recided to start a new Akkoma instance at akko.wtf. It’s honestly pretty nice to come back to the Pleroma experience after a long time. However, I also wasn’t gonna just drop my existing Foundkey instance either since I still generally like the experience on it. In the last post, I mentioned how I was gonna try LXC for my setup.

Server Reorg Part 2

Last time I had the following setup: $5/mo Linode VPS for a mail server that also has Prosody for XMPP (1 CPU/1 GB RAM/25 GB SSD) CPX11 Hetzner €3.99/mo VPS for Foundkey (a Misskey fork) (2 CPU/2 GB RAM/40 GB SSD) $8/mo OVH VPS that posts this blog as well as a Gitea and Woodpecker CI instance (1 CPU/2 GB RAM/40 GB SSD) Today, I’ve now replaced the OVH VPS with another Hetzner CPX11, this time running CentOS Stream 9.

Server Reorg Part 1

My current server situation is a huge mess at the moment. As a result of various experimentation of various self-hosted stuff, my current collection of servers is: $5/mo Linode VPS for a mail server that also has Prosody for XMPP (1 CPU/1 GB RAM/25 GB SSD) CPX11 Hetzner €3.99/mo VPS for Foundkey (a Misskey fork) (2 CPU/2 GB RAM/40 GB SSD) $8/mo OVH VPS that posts this blog as well as a Gitea and Woodpecker CI instance (1 CPU/2 GB RAM/40 GB SSD) Having servers on three separate providers with different pricing structures is… not ideal.

Don't Blindly Optimize Postgres

I just recently reverted my postgresql.conf on my Misskey instance back to the default settings (or rather I copied a stock version of that file from another Debian install). For about a month I was using a config based on the ones generated from PgTune for my server (2 GB RAM, SSD, 2 cores). However I ran into performance problems, specifically searching stuff kept timing out. Once I reverted to the stock configuration, searches worked like they used to.
Fediring